Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Welcome Home

Mom got home from West Virginia last night. Well, technically she got home in the wee hours this morning. Bad weather in Chicago really put Southwest Airlines into a crunch and for a while there it looked like she might be playing the Orbitz “Who can find a hotel room?” game.

I think I’m as glad as she is that she didn’t have to stay over. I really don’t function well when she’s gone. It has been a running joke regarding my retirement that we carefully mapped out the days I can be home and the days I can’t so that we don’t get on each other’s nerves. Well, perhaps she feels stronger about that than I do, but I was ready for some minor conflict after about the third day. I have a mental image of myself as being cast in the mold of one of Garrison Keeler’s Norwegian Bachelors – self-sufficient, resolute and capable. The truth of the matter is I’m more like Percy Kilbride’s Pa Kettle (I know, that’s BYT).

Granted, there is a certain pleasure in leaving the bed unmade for the duration, and letting dishes pile up until the last possible minute (I didn’t eat at home this much; how can I have this many dirty dishes?) but it doesn’t make up for meals eaten alone and long, boring evenings. Plus – and I admit this with some shame – it’s inconvenient. I mean, I had to keep going to Wal-Mart to buy clean underwear!

No, the truth is, she stock-piled the clean underwear, and foodstuffs, and all the other things I depend on her for before she left. But you can’t stock-pile conversations and glances and touches; and even the 42” High Def TV can’t provide companionship. I’m glad she’s home. I missed her.

2 comments:

Jana said...

What a nice welcome home note!

Julie said...

That is so sweet! You almost got me all teary.

Is Jason invited to your blog? He needs to read that one. :)