Saturday, November 24, 2007

A New Hymnal?

Keith Brenton posted an article last week in which he suggested that some of our great old hymns just don't connect with the children of this century, especially those with insistent themes of dedication, self-sacrifice, and so forth. He suggested that some of those grand classic hymns should be updated - if not with more contemporary language - at least with a more realistic outlook. And he went on to list a few:

  • Living By Fate
  • Take My Life and Let it Alone
  • I Need Thee Every Week
  • Joyful, Joyful We Ignore Thee
  • O Master, Let Me Balk With Thee
  • We'll Wait 'Til Jesus Comes
and
  • Come Let Us Worship and Sit Down
It's an incomplete list, however, and I and others added these new old favorites:

  • I Sit, I Sit, in Awe of You
  • Two-and-a-half Percent to Jesus, I Surrender
  • Have My Own Way
  • I Am Mine, Oh Lord
  • Master the Market is Raging
Maybe you have a favorite new old hymn.

1 comment:

Jana said...

Another favorite:

"Oh, why not tonight, or better yet, tomorrow?"