Monday, December 10, 2007

Santa Hat Adventures

It was cold and drizzly today, so I wore my Santa Hat when I went to read. I got the expected comments, "Nice Hat!", "Hello, Santa", "Ho, ho ho", etc. That's nice.

The weather was even more miserable when it was time to go to Chuy's for supper, so I stuck the hat back on and wore it into the restaurant. Saw lots of smiles and got lots of looks, so I achieved the desired effect as we passed through the place to get to our table. Just got seated, and heard,

"Hello, Santa!"

from a wide-eyed little girl who looked to be about four. A believing, wide eyed little girl!

Uh Oh.

I hadn't considered running into small children when I plopped the hat on my head. Believing, wide-eyed small children. I may wear the hat, and project the image, but I'm really not ready to be Santa.

I turned to the little girl and said hello, saying fervently to myself, "Please, please, little girl. Don't hop out of your chair and come over here! I'm not really Santa, little girl. I'm not even a good helper, Okay?"

She didn't get up, but she continued to stare wide-eyed. So I did the only thing I could do. I took off the hat.

Okay. I chickened out. But you are not supposed to wear hats indoors, and the hat was hot, and... I chickened out.

Obviously, I'm going to have to give this looking like Santa some more thought.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Well, what do you expect? I can see that you're gradually, if subconsciously accepting the Santa thing. I think you're lucky that she didn't jump up on your knee and tell you her dearest wishes.

I guess I'm a little surprised that someone who doesn't like his invisible "Please talk to me" button would do so much to bring so much attention to himself! :)