Friday, June 27, 2008

Generating traffic

I was wandering through Blogdom the other day and came across a post on generating traffic. By that, this blogger meant getting people to come and read your blog. This is a big deal for many bloggers; the higher the traffic count the more authoritative the blog (and in many cases the higher volume of advertising). The author of this particular post said that bloggers should be very conscious of one's Technorati score. Okay, I confess that I didn't know what a Technorati score was, let alone that I should be conscious of it, so I went exploring.

The short version is that there is a Technorati website and it apparently is Blogger Mecca. Among other things they assign a ranking to all existing blogs, based on various important technical thingys and the blog with the lowest number wins. It took me a while to find my ranking, but I am proud to say that RetiredInAustin has a Technorati ranking of 3,900,132. That's right, folks, there are nearly 4 million blogs more popular than mine! Actually, I just checked again and since yesterday 30 more blogs have become more popular than mine. I think I'll quit checking.

Now the truth of the matter is I blog to amuse myself. If others find something of interest or amusement in my blogging all the better, but this is not the place to look for important news or deep philosophical meanderings. It is sort of a gonzo journal on my part, recording what strikes my fancy. If it tickles your fancy too, you are welcome. But at 3,900,162 and going down I wonder if I should do something to boost traffic. I've got it! I'll have a give-away! I'll give away a fabulous prize to the 500th visitor of the day (I think I'm pretty safe, since I average 5 visitors a day).

Or maybe I'll just continue to amuse myself.

2 comments:

Rob said...

OK - maybe I am just too busy (lazy?) to figure this out, but how do you find your rank?

pat said...

Your blog ranks #1 with me - it amuses me greatly!
It and Rob's are the only ones I read anyway, and I forget to read Rob's most of the time.