Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No TV!

The other night we settled down for our evening routine and turned on the TV to watch the second game of the best-of-three finals of the NCAA Women's Softball Championship. No TV. Just a big flat-screen sitting there showing me a high-definition picture of nothing! Everything turned on, and the little info band at the bottom of the screen said we were watching Women's Softball, but there was no picture and no sound. I flipped through several channels and the little info label changed accordingly, but no picture anywhere.

I rebooted the cable box, waited the long minutes for it to return to normal and still no TV. Finally I bit the bullet and started the time consuming process to get in contact with someone at Time-Warner. Thirty minutes later an altogether too-cheerful person told me that yes, there was an outage and that they were working on it, but she didn't know when service would be restored.

No TV! It's not like we depend on the TV to complete our life and provide comfort. Many evenings it doesn't get turned on until time for the news and sometimes not even then. We mostly watch sports and that for the enjoyment of the competition - not so much because it is a TV program. But now that we couldn't have it, I wanted my MTV! I checked every fifteen minutes or so through the rest of the evening, unable to deal with the isolation of no TV. Cut off, abandoned, tossed up on a desert island.

Finally about 10:15pm life returned to normal. Picture and sound and the weatherman telling us it was going to be hot. Again. All was well at last.

And the team we were rooting for lost 11-0 and Arizona State won the Championship. We wouldn't have enjoyed the game anyway.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I thought you were going to say the flat screen broke ... all I could think about was "Where are we going to go for Thanksgiving now that we can't watch games on the big screen?" ;-)