Friday, January 9, 2009

I feel better now

Today's book at the Reading for the Blind was tough reading. It was a World History book done in the very latest style - very little text on a page, but lots of flashy pictures, bunches of icons with lengthy web references, marginal notes, colorful side-bars and info boxes, graphs galore, and oh, here's a big complicated map to finish up with. For the sighted, this is probably a good thing; for the impaired (and the reader), not so good.

I struggled through my two hour session (with a teen-aged director who spent all his time texting friends - not checking me as I read), and grumpily went to put the book back on the shelf, where I saw a little sign that said:

"Kristen W. in Pomona CA and John H. in Minneapolis MN are reading this book. They have learning disabilities. Sharon S. in Tulsa OK, who is sightless, is also waiting for this book. They thank you for your help."

So, whats a few graphs and maps?

1 comment:

Julie said...

See, that's nice to have a name with what you're doing. What a good idea to put that on there.