Monday, February 16, 2009

Read this book

I don't do book reviews. I normally don't even recommend a book, because tastes are so different; I guess I think that if you don't like my recommendation you will think less of my taste in books (and perhaps think less of me, as well).

But I want to recommend this book. No. I want you to read this book. I insist. And if you don't like my choice of books then too bad!


My taste in casual reading ranges widely, but the core of my favorite authors runs to authors like James Lee Burke, or Leonard Elmore, or Robert Crais - or even W.E.B. Griffen; you know, tough he-man type books. Good guys and bad guys, or maybe flawed guys and more flawed guys. I'm not opposed to the feminine viewpoint - Among others, I read Kathy Reichs Temperance Brennan series (but I don't do Patricia Cornwell) and even Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series (as a friend said, what could be better than a sexy woman who uses tools) - but I'm happiest with a good manly man book.

So when Barbara handed me this book, I was dubious. It looked a bit dainty and a little too sweet. Dainty it is not; it deals with the German occupation of Guernsey Island during WWII and pulls no punches about what that was like.

I guess the best thing I can say about this book is that I wish it was not fiction. I wish the characters in this book had lived, and this was really and truly their story. It's been out a while - you can probably find it in the library or at Half-Price. But do find it.

3 comments:

pat said...

No one has let go of it yet at my Half-Price bookstore.
Will have to search further.

When I get it do I put it on the top of my 3 year old stack of unread books?

Julie said...

I signed up to reserve it at the local library (since we can do that here at our library in Fresno) and it said I was #55 on the waiting list. But that's okay. I can wait for it.

Sarah said...

Oy. #55? I'll have plenty to read in the meantime, but I'll put it on hold at my library, too. I think both of us will enjoy it at my house. Thanks for the recommendation.