Friday, February 27, 2009

Sign of the times


You see them on almost every street corner - the folks employed to be walking signboards. Often they hold the tall signs tacked to a single pole that shout "Furniture Warehouse is Going Out of Business!" Again. With these signs you often cannot see the holder, hunched behind the placard, earphones in place to fight off the boredom. Others are a lot more visible - the Jackson Hewitt folks in the Uncle Sam suits and hats actively wave and try to engage your eye. Boy there are a lot of Jackson Hewitt offices in this town!

It gives you pause that people are cheaper than sign poles. Yes, I know that having a person hold a sign gets around all the rules and regulations about posting your advertising street side, but Realtors have successfully skirted these regulations for years (though I'm beginning to see human realty signs).

And it makes you think about the economy and realize the market is full of folks who are willing to stand around holding a sign these days. And you also remember that you've seen pictures in books of human signboards in other periods of our history; nothing new under the sandwich board, I guess.

And maybe it beats being a greeter in Wal-Mart - at least this time of year. I'll have to give that some thought.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow. I just thought that it was in my new hometown here that we had so many sign holders. I commented just the other day that if I ever decide to find a teaching job here and can not, I can always be a sign holder.

Although the best ones dance all around, and I CAN NOT dance. Trust me. It would not be the type of spectable the business owners are looking for.