Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday Meanderings

Feasted on tomatoes from the garden this past week. Well, okay, there were only 2 ripe enough to feast on. And they were small. Tiny actually. Think Yahoo marble-size. But it's early, yet!

New bird at the feeder; I had seen it before but thought it was a sparrow. Finally realized it was not and added Black-capped Chickadee to my list. Ah, yes.

Had a fund-raising dinner at the church for upcoming youth trips to the Communidad de Ninos in Peru. They served "Peruvian Pile-on." We told them gringos would never eat lettuce or tomatoes in Peru. But we weren't in Peru, were we?

We watched much of the Women's Softball World Series last week and into this (getting ourselves in shape for the UT men when they get to the College World Series in Omaha). Softball is a fun game to watch; slower paced, lot's of exciting plays - or errors. The only problem is the constant - and I do mean constant - cheering from the players themselves and their young fans. Mom pointed out an article in the paper about a local high school team that had set three goals for themselves this year: batting .325 as a team, making no more than 7 errors throughout district play and "yelling cheesy cheers." Hmmm. So it's intentional. Reminds me of a girl's soccer team I was once familiar with.

Haven't seen the little Vietnamese protester woman for a week or so. Either her demands were met or, most likely, she grew weary of the vigil. This was a protest that could have used a translator.

I may have to start calling this feature "Monday Memory Lapse." I think of things during the week that need to go in here, but unless I write them down right then I can't recall them. For instance, at breakfast the other day we mentioned two things to go in MMs, but here it is 1 1/2 hours later and I can't think of either of them. Fortunately, what's-her-name wrote them down.

From the Overheard Conversation Department: "Hello, Judy? This is Emily. Ya'll do acupuncture don't you? Great! I really need to get my dog in; can I come today? Oh, really? No, she can't wait that long. Thanks."

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Actually the correct quote was "cheer cheesy cheers".

Julie said...

I really don't know what high school team you're referring to. Really.