Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday Meanderings

Did another wedding last weekend. There's a lot I could say about it, but I'll not. Okay, one story: I'm going over the music with the coordinator before the ceremony and I see one of the grandmothers coming up the aisle, snipping the netting at each row; netting that previously stretched continuously down each side of the center aisle. I knew for a fact that the coordinator had stretched this netting because she had told me how long it took her to get it just right. She turned and saw grandma and shrieked, "What are you doing??"

Grandma said, "I'm fixing this so people can sit down. It's dumb to make people walk all the way around so's they can sit down."

"But Jennifer wanted it that way!"

"Honey, Jennifer ain't gonna notice, and it's stupid to make people walk all the way around."

Did you know that if you are in a restaurant and the waitress is spilling milk on the floor from the glass she's attempting to serve to folks at the next table, she's not amused if you tell her to "not cry over it"? Mom and I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe she was having a bad morning.

The monitor on my computer has been flickering for quite a while, slowly getting worse. I've been watching the Fry's ads for sometime and the other day they offered a 22" flat screen for less than some 18 or 19 inch units, so I have a new monitor. Only problem is the crick in my neck from turning my head side-to-side to see all of what's on the screen.

They say people who have been married for a long time adopt similar behavior. It must be so; the other day I was reading a book and early on there was a suggestion that one of the main characters in this book was not going to be around at the end. I found this totally unsatisfactory, so just like my wife of 47 years, I turned to the end and read the conclusion because I was NOT going to finish this book if this character was killed off. Good news - I'm still reading.

I saw a small blurb in the paper that American airlines was going to try some new cost-saving techniques on overseas flights. Somehow that does not instill confidence. What are they going to try? Shutting off the engines and coasting? Having passengers get out and walk part of the way? How about everybody jumping in the air at once to make the plane lighter? Or "Okay, everybody push!" Some things airlines just shouldn't make public.

3 comments:

pat said...

Did Grandma bring the scissors with her to the wedding?

Bob said...

She did. The netting was up at the time of the rehearsal and evidently she came to the wedding prepared.

Julie said...

Oh, noooo! Not the "reading the end of the book" technique!