Friday, April 9, 2010

Another story for my grandchildren -- up to a point


Between my Junior and Senior years in High School, I was selected to attend American Legion Boy's State, held here in Austin on the University of Texas campus. The Principal at BHS, Jim Wilkerson, selected five of my classmates and me to join about 700 other boys from around the state and  participate in an exercise of leadership and citizenship by forming and "running" an imaginary state; our dorm assignments were "Cities" (Hood City, fall out!) and we elected local and state officials - up to and including the Governor and Lt. Governor.

I campaigned for and was elected the Chaplin of the Senate. I don't remember what the chaplain's duties were, but I do know that those senators and other citizen's of that Boy's State needed some powerful praying over.  At the conclusion of the week, we all marched from the UT campus to the State Capitol building, sat in the chairs and invoked a joint session of our elected legislature, and as I recall passed a few bills (which were immediately squashed by those in charge).

I'll have you know, I'm in good company as a participant in Boy's State - other notables that have attended are Bill Clinton, Mike Huckabee, Tom Brokaw, Jane Pauley (yes, there was a concurrent Girl's State held on a different campus) Nick Saban, Michael Jordan, Mark Wahlberg and Neil Armstrong, to mention a few.  And we all wore the famous Tee Shirt. We were given one and had to buy any additional. Did I mention that there was no laundry service at Boy's State? We just kept buying shirts. That's why, when I got to college, I still had several left over. Barb said she always knew when I was at the bottom of the clean clothes - you could see the American Legion logo through my outer shirt.

And it was the shirt that got me in trouble. Okay, this is the point where the grand kids need to go play WII or something. Nothing to read here, kids; move along.

We also had a newspaper at Boy's State, and since this group got special late-night privileges (and no PE the next morning) I was quick to join. We wrote up the day's events, interviewed important people (like then-Governor Price Daniels), typed it all up and took it over to the Daily Texan offices each evening. On our last evening, the newspaper sponsor (a college-age councilor) promised us we could go downtown and see a movie after we were done. And be sure and bring a non-Boy's State shirt. The official shirt was required at all activities; this was how they kept up with the kids. Being caught off-campus was a no-no. Being caught off campus in your official Boy's State shirt was a cardinal offense, so of course we all changed shirts before climbing into our sponsor's convertible and heading downtown. When we got back - way after hours - our building was locked with our official shirts inside! Not to worry; see that rock ledge? If I can edge my way over to that window on that ledge, I think I can crawl inside the building.

And that is how I first came to the attention of the University of Texas Police Department. And, no, it was not the last time, but that's another story for another time. I will say that we got in a whole lot less trouble than we could have. I don't think the councilor got invited back the next year, however.

I just wish I still had one of those shirts.

5 comments:

Rob said...

So where are you in that picture?

Bob said...

12th row - 42nd from the left.

Julie said...

Wow - arrested (or at least detained) by the UT police. Of _course_ we have to tell the grandsons that part!

Bob said...

No, no! Not arrested. Detained is the proper word. Yes, that's it.

Jason Locke said...

I did Boys State in Tennessee but had no such luck with this kind of adventure. My worst memory was the closing dance (or "ball"). Imagine a bunch of guys hanging out with music and the few girls whose parents were dumb enough to bring them. Boring!