Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday Meanderings - Oct 18

A followup on the Thong Guy - the picture of the birthday-suit wearing bicyclist shared by Aaron and friends in last weeks' MMs. I noted that John Kelso - the Statesman humorist wrote about the dude and asked for pictures, so I forwarded the one sent to me (with due credit - I said I had no earthly idea where the pic came from).

This week Kelso blogged, "You wouldn’t think an article about a guy riding around town on a bike in nothing but a tiny G-string would stir up more than 100 emails and double figures of photos of the guy. But it did. I think I may be the last person in Austin who hasn’t seen [him]." And he went on to say that now that he has, please, no more pictures!

"He’s reported to wear a variety of thongs: white, gold lame, leopard, purple, turquoise and magenta. He’s been spotted near Whole Foods, Doss Elementary School, Alandale, near Wiggy’s Liquors on West Sixth, 29th and Lamar, Far West Boulevard, Shoal Creek Boulevard, and many other points. His picture has been taken almost as much as Brooklyn Decker."

There also was discussion about where he keeps his house key.

In addition to little portable white boards so we can write down things we need to remember (from one room to the next), I think auto makers ought to add an automated message that says, when you turn off the car, "Is there anything in the car you need to take in? Groceries, Library books, boxed food, your spouse?"

I have discussed my phobia regarding parking garages. The other day I had an appointment which required parking in a garage that I am actually somewhat familiar with, and can navigate somewhat well. That means I have never had to search more than 2 floors, looking for my car. I did good this time and went straight back to my car (okay, it was parked right next to the elevator) and was looping down toward the toll booth when... I met an inordinately large SUV coming UP the DOWN portion of the ramp.

Mind you, this was not a two-way street; there is room for ONE vehicle only. The guy in the SUV gave me the evil eye, as if I were the bad guy, and just sat there. I finally rolled down my window and pointed at all the cars beside us and yelled, "This is one way - that way!" pointing the direction he came from. He didn't buy it at first, but I could see his wife pointing at all the cars angled in the opposite direction, and she gave him what for finally convinced him of the error of his ways.

Now the problem is, he has to back down to a place where he could turn around - and backing was not his strength. Back...stop...pull forward and straighten...back...stop, etc. Finally he got down to the turn and after no more than 15 back and cut moves (did I mention that this was a large SUV?)  got going the other direction. I just wonder if he was coming or going, and how he got turned around in the first place? But knowing, as I do, that parking garages are malevolent places, I'm surprised that hasn't happened to me.

Yesterday, after the 1st service, Barb told me that "Abraham's got nothing on you." Say what? "Yes, in Hebrews it says Abraham went, even though he did not know where he was going." Ouch.

I thought this was a pretty good idea - bacon pancakes.


But this is a better idea. Yes, that's a Krispy-Kreme doughnut.



Just remember the first rule of cooking. You rock, Julia.


2 comments:

Barbara said...

And maybe the automated message should remind you to turn off your lights. Otherwise, if you miss the ding when you get out at 8 am, when you return to your car at noon, after praise team sound check, two services with coffee time in between, your battery will be totally dead and you have to find a jump and then drive to Georgetown and back before you'll feel comfortable turning the car off.

Julie said...

Okay, I just have to say "double and triple 'Eww!' " on the pancake idea. Being a person who does not mix breakfast meats and sweet foods, this idea is my definition of a breakfast travesty. I suppose you wouldn't have to serve it with syrup, but still. And my secondary definition for "breakfast travesty" would be that donut sandwich.