Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Keeping Austin Weird - Running Man

From time-to-time I mention the iconic people that help Austin retain its zany uniqueness. I've referenced  Leslie several times; he's doing well and is still mayor of 6th Street. Another reason we don't go down there. And there was the nearly-nude bicycle guy (who evidently can't take the summer sun - he's not been seen in a while). And I mentioned the Running Man - the dude who hangs out in a little patch of grass beside the HEB on North Lamar and Rundberg and spends his day sprinting up and down that area.


Running Man turns out to be a guy named Broderick James, and he is gaining a bit of attention. He's using social media to gain a following and has more than 2000 "fans" on his FaceBook page.  He even has some of his "peeps" holding up cardboard signs to advertise his page.

According to his page he runs "because I am free. I run to inspire others to be bold in their dreams, their thinking, and be who they were created to be. I offer true optimism through my dedication to the city and its people thereof. I run to show that I am opposed to poverty, stress, depression, and obesity."

Okay, then.

According to an interview with one of the TV stations here, he chose Rundberg and North Lamar to be the focus of his activities because its reputation for drugs, gangs and prostitution. He sees his presence as a counterpoint to all that. He's got a point. According to the APD that intersection has more alcohol-related accidents than anywhere else in town. And there's a fine group of ladies who have been doing social networking on this corner for several years now.

Did I mention that this is the location of our closest public library? And that we go to the library a lot? Here's hoping Running Man is successful in bringing a positive influence on the neighborhood.

4 comments:

Cynthia Agnell said...

From 1975 to 1984 we lived within walking distance of that corner. the boys and I visited that library several times a week. The decision to move was one of the few times I have been a prophet.

Anonymous said...

Well, I know Broderick James Jr. personally, we first moved here when he came back home from Iraq. Broderick doesnt tell people he has children or even acknowledge them. I was very sad when someone that knows Broderick and I and our children, informed me that he says that he doesnt have children. I wonder if that is the reason why they do not get phone calls on birthdays, christmas, or any other holidays. He is a great guy but when you dont take care of your children and you help everyone else, what does that really say about you. Im not saying dead beat dad like others, but thats what it's called.

Anonymous said...

I personally meet running man aka James when I lived in Austin for a short time not to long ago. He was a amazing person and trying to do good and turn that neighborhood around. He told me that he had children and loved them very much. He is a faithful person and I am sure the above person would be the ex wife. Its all good tho. Everyone has their differences. He is the kind of person everyone needs to strive to be. Keep the good work up man. your my hero and the person I want to be. Kayla Biggs.

Dora Smith said...

I'm suspicious of Running Man. At best he makes no attempt to make a living, and it's no surprise if he has children he has little to do with and certainly makes no attempt to support. I have an idea that one way and another he lives off the charity of others. I think most people, certainly those who just drive through there every day, think he's one of the crazies who possess that neighborhood. There have been weird people in Austin hanging out in the streets who didn't scare people away, like Leslie, but Running Man runs around and goes after people.

Who are these ladies on that corner who do social media?