Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 5.02.2011

Got a call a couple of weeks ago from a guy I worked with 20 years ago, back in the home builder days. Says he's going to be in town and wants to get together with me and Barb. Wants us to meet his wife, talk over old times. You know, it's hard to carry on a conversation with someone you haven't seen in 20 years.

In our travels to Mexico and Central America our family learned the power of the "tsssst! tsssst!" That's the noise you make by blowing air through your teeth. People in those cultures use this noise to quietly get someone's attention; we picked up on that and discovered it is a nice, quiet distinctive noise that we could use to get the attention of other family members in public places. Well, Barb and I use it. Others in our family think it too closely resembles calling a pet. I can relate to that.

So I came out of the Doctor's office the other day and Barb is waiting for me in the reception room and I wanted to signal to her that I'm ready to go, so I went "tssst tssst" to get her attention. However, this was Hispanic Appreciation Day at the Doctor's office, and after I went "tssst tssst" everybody in the room stopped what they were doing and looked up at me. Except Barb. She didn't hear me, but I sure wasn't going to do it again, so I just said, "Ahem. BARB! We can go now."

Add the typewriter to the list of things that used to be a common part of our lives, but have disappeared. The last typewriter manufacturer in the world, Godrej & Boyce of India, has ended production of the typewriter. When was the last time you used a typewriter? SAW a typewriter? Long live QWERTY.

Keeping Austin Weird: Austin held the 48th annual Eeyore's Birthday Party this weekend. You know, Pooh's friend. The Party started as a way for a few UT students to have one last gasp before finals, but has grown into one of the biggest fund-raisers in town. It's very loosely organized and still has a very hippie subculture feel to it (and a lot of old hippies hang out there every year). Dressing weirdly is the key and you are welcome to wear - or not wear - whatever you want. Paint was very popular this year. And yes, there is always a donkey. "Thank you for remembering."

And speaking of friends, if you have some time to kill, take a look at your FaceBook "Find Friends" selection. On your browser, click "Find Friends" on the upper right blue bar. Now, from the plethora of suggestions made because you have one or more mutual friends, see if you can figure out who these people are and who they know who know you.

The surface of the earth is slipping to the South. And I can prove it. When I put these stepping stones in the lawn many years ago they were all in a straight line. Now look at them.


The earth is sliding! The earth is sliding! Remember. You heard it here first!

No comments: