Monday, May 23, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 5.23.2012


Well, we are still here. A friend commented that she was just as upset with the folks that said the world was not going to end on the 21st as with those who said it was. Said it was a bit presumptuous to take either stance.

After the rain come the rain lilies. Fields full of them. I guess after so long a wait they thought they better get 'er done. It's an amazing sight. Rain on Thursday, fields of blooms on Monday - and not a lilly in sight on Wednesday. I think there's something Biblical about that, isn't there?


Checked in at the Allergist's office for a regular visit and the receptionist said that I had overpaid and here was a $2.74 refund check. I thanked her, and then she said, "Your balance is $1.25. Would you like to pay that now?" ??? I asked her if she would take a 3rd party check.

Just days before my age exempts me from service, I got a Jury Questionnaire. Not a summons. Not yet.

I mentioned that we went to Abilene last weekend for Jason's - uh, excuse me - Dr. Locke's graduation. I failed to note that this followed on the heels of his delivering a Theme address at Pepperdine Lectures. Well done.

When we checked in at the hotel in Abilene the guy behind the desk looked so much like a young man that we knew from Brentwood days that I greeted him like a long-lost friend. He was pretty confused because it turns out he was not Mark, the friend. So for the rest of the stay I greeted him as "Not Mark."

The State of Texas has adopted a number of new textbooks. As a result, everyone at Learning Ally (RFB&D) is reading a slew of new texts, preparing for the coming school year. The majority of them are literature books - each about 1,300 pages and weighing 5 pounds apiece. I predict spinal adjustments from heavy backpacks. Of course, these are the current style of texts - lots and lots of graphics, icons, colored lines, colored highlighting, little sidebar boxes - all the things that make it an exciting read for sighted people, and impossible to read for those with visual difficulties.

By the way; the mascot for the Arkansas School for the Deaf is the Leopards. So that would make them the deaf Leopards.

If you can't build an ark, I guess this is the next best thing.

No comments: