Monday, July 4, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 7.4.2011

It's rather ironic that I have set the banner to a festive fireworks scene - since no one, absolutely no one in this area is having a fireworks display this year. Not on Auditorium Shores, not out at the Oasis, not in any neighboring communities. I'm rather sure that it is the same story where you live - if you live in drought-stricken Texas. So enjoy my banner. It may be your only shot at some fireworks.

Driving along the other day I saw a guy on a motorcycle with a shirt that had a Texas Longhorn logo on it, but with the horns sawed off. Most Aggies have one or more of these shirts, and it is a popular sight among non-Longhorn fans. But this guy had a scripture reference under his logo. Psalms 75:10, which says "I will cut off the horns of all the wicked." Hmmm.

Austin is a foodie town. The city health department says there are 1,200 (!) registered food trailers in this town, including the latest trend, which is to use a large metal shipping container remodeled to permit food preparation and sales. Where to put them all has become a big issue and there have been some food fights (so to speak) over prime parking places.

And the Running Man is back! But now he's doing his gyrations on the other side of North Lamar on the corner by the Sonic. I guess some large grocery chain did indeed run him off. So, to the folks at HEB who keep checking my blog for comments on the Running Man relative to their business can take a break. It's been nice having you drop in. And welcome to Sonic - my newest corporate reader.

There are some disturbing things in the daily paper. No, I'm not talking about Libya and Syria or the latest criminal proceeding, or even that all the glass is falling off the W Hotel downtown. I'm talking about the fact that TPWD says there are 500,000 alligators in Texas. And some of them are this big!


I mentioned our new 600 thread count sheets. Love 'em! Just found out that there are 1000 count sheets! Then I would have to stay in bed all day to cost-justify them. Talk about your win-win!

And we could wash them in our new washer and dryer, which has actually been purchased, but can't be delivered until we get the old ones out of the way. I know, they will haul off the old ones, but since they still work we have been trying to get them into the hands of someone who can use them. We may have succeeded in that through a church connection.

You will recall that we had to make some changes to the existing laundry closet so that new, larger appliances would fit. And to do that we had to find a handy-man or contractor who could do all the things needed for that to happen. I'm pleased to present:


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats on the new laundry equipment -- and as a recipient of someone's recent "cast-offs", I know they are grateful for that, as well.

I can't believe it, but several places in the Dallas area are having fireworks, including my neighborhood. So we shall pack our chairs out to the greenbelt and see if we can't set Texas on fire.

Saw in the Abilene paper that one little lone fireworks stand in Brown county was still operating and could still sell. They were so pleased to have had customers from Austin, San Angelo, and all other counties that had shut down their fireworks stands. Now we know who to go to when individuals with fireworks burn down the state. Crazy.

pat said...

No fireworks at PK

Used appliances set on the curb in my neighborhood stay there until you (1) leave home or (2) until dark.