Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 11.14.2011

It's been an interesting week on the political circuit; Governor Goodhair is proving himself a prime candidate - as the source of humor for the late-night TV guys. Natalie Manes (Dixie Chicks) got in some serious hot water for saying she was ashamed to admit she was from Texas. Hmmm.

Latest entertainment is giving the telemarketers grief. Usually we just let the answering machine pick up, but for those very, very persistent ones that call several times a day, the new approach is to answer and play the role of an old, disoriented person (which I find is not all that hard). While they are trying to tell me about refinancing my mortgage, I'm acting like this is a call from cousin Kenny, and asking how the family is and whatever happened with Oscar's parole hearing?  Too soon to tell if they cross the number off the list, but I'm having fun.

Yes, thank you for asking. My better eating choices are indeed paying off. I try not to make a big deal about in front of Barb, but I have lost 16 pounds to date. I tell her that this is just the low-hanging fruit - the easy pounds; it will be a lot harder from here.

Part of the kerfuffle with everybody wanting out of the Big XII has been the formation of the Longhorn Network, the TV alliance between UT and ESPN. Seems other schools thought this gave Texas an unfair advantage on several fronts. The only problem is, to date, only one small cable company, mostly in San Marcos, has picked up the Longhorn Network. So to promote viewership, LN had a free weekend - everything was available to view - on your PC. Being the technical guru that I am, I went to Frys and got the cables that were supposed to allow me to connect the PC to the TV. If you like watching a big screen of nothing but blurry green lines, it was a great success.

Saw an ad in the AARP magazine that said I could look as good as I feel. I was hoping for something a little better than that.

One of the big toys this year is apparently a remote control roach. Really? We pay regularly so we won't have those critters crawling around.

And speaking of unwanted pests - you know how, when you are out and about and checking mail and such on your smart phone, you will get notifications of nearby hot spots that you can access? Here's one that popped up on my phone. How many unwanted visitors do you think this spot attracts?

3 comments:

pat said...

Hooray for the 16 pounds!

Julie said...

Yes, that's wonderful! "Low hanging" or not!

Sarah said...

Congrats on the weight loss -- and I'm especially amused that the 2 emails we can see on your phone are regarding food. :-) May want to get off of some of those lists... :-)