Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 8.27.2012


Chuy's Hatch Green Chili Festival has not helped my calorie counting. The button probably should say, "We Shall Overeat." In fact, the application I use to track my caloric intake, which posts encouraging notes when you are on track, is now making snide comments, like, "You're kidding, right?" and "I'm sorry, your calorie count is already into September. There's no room for any more input." The worst jab was when I tried to enter the "El Presidente" platter, which among other ingredients boasts two fried eggs. The App just said, "Ewww, gross. Seriously?"

Cooler: There's more warm weather to come - we haven't had that "magic morning" when you step out and know that Summer's really over - but we have had a spell of cooler mornings this past week, which made me desperate to have coffee on the patio, so I lathered up in mosquito repellant the other morning and sat out for a bit. I was so busy checking to see if any mosquitoes had landed on me I wasn't enjoying the moment, so I gave up and came back inside. Soon, soon.


Keeping Austin Weird: "Stikman" has been sighted in Austin. The little street-art dude, sort of a 21st century version of the World War II-era "Kilroy was here" figures, has been gracing other cities for some time; according to a 2008 Washington Post article, the D.C. area had as many as 150 Stikmen underfoot at that time. And the author of the article even talked to a guy, self-identified only as Bob, who claimed to be the artist. Given that the drawings have also turned up in Boston, San Francisco, Ann Arbor, Mich., and, of all places, Wheeling, W.Va., Bob must be well-traveled.And if you don't know about "Kilroy was here" you can Google it here.

Speaking of Street Art: I often see a panhandler on a particular corner with a sign that says "Disabled Artist. Needs help." Of late, he has had samples of his work attached to his sign. He's right. He definitely needs help.


Cruel and Unusual Punishment: If the CIA needs some new form of torture to get bad guys to cooperate and tell everything they know, I suggest making the culprits spend the afternoon in the too-small NTB waiting room, filled with screaming kids, teens on annoying game devices and the TV blaring the latest episode of Dr. Phil. I was ready to confess to anything in 15 minutes, and I hadn't done anything!


I'll bet you didn't know... Phil Collins (yes, that Phil Collins) has the worlds largest collection of Alamo and Texas revolution artifacts.  

I hear a green chili calling me; thanks for dropping by.

1 comment:

pat said...

I had begun to notice Hatch Chilies hype around here. I personally never tried them but some of my recent lunch companions were going by Central Market and get some on their way home.