Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday Meanderings - 3.3.2014

Didn't take long to get done with February. Now if we could just get done with winter. Seems strange to hang out on the patio on one day and burrow under the blankets the next.

Last week when I was talking about the weirdness that is Austin, I neglected to mention the City Water Department. That's the department that goes to extraordinary lengths to promote water conservation; free low-flush toilets, free water barrels, free rain gauges, staged irrigation etc.

They have done an outstanding job - in fact they have done such a good job of enticing us to conserve water that now they are going to have to charge us more for water because we are not using enough of it! Seems the Water Department's income has fallen to the point that they are going to have to up the bill.

I think the City has been talking to the folks who want to lower lake levels around the state so that they will have more room to capture rainfall.

My doctor wants me to cut back on salt in my diet. Waaay back. I told him that to meet his goal my diet would consist of raw turnips and rainwater. He was not amused. Restricting salt does, of course, impact my love of chips and salsa, or chips and queso, or chips and creamy jalapeno, or simply chips. I have a solution, though. I just lick the salt off the chips before I eat them.

I just noticed that this is my 900th blog posting. Wow.

1 comment:

pat said...

We are in the same water situation. They restrict our days and hours of watering - so now they have to raise the rates.

Had lunch at Uncle Julio's today. Only so, so chips. You wouldn't care for the salt on them!