Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday Meanderings - 4.13.2015

It's nice when one's doctor attends the same church as you do. The orthopedist  who performed my shoulder surgery stopped me in the foyer to see how I was doing.  While he was adjusting my sling, I commented to his wife that her husband does make house calls - it just has to be a certain kind of house. She said "You have no idea how much "Church Foyer Medicine" gets practiced here."

Speaking of my sling, Barb and I were both at the vehicle inspection station last week - she in her car and me in mine. After she left, the technician pointed at my arm and said, "Did she do that?" For a while I was telling people who asked about my sling that she was the reason I had to wear it. I stopped doing that for fear that she actually would cause some damage over my glib response.

Another example that Big Brother Google is watching us. Last Monday afternoon a message popped up on my phone, entirely on its own, that said, "Right now it would take you 9 minutes to reach 10520 North Lamar Blvd." I'll let you guess what's at that address. Or, you can use the Google Maps link here.

The other day the Little Vietnamese Lady came knocking on our door. You may recall that this is the person that I ran off during pecan season because she was hogging all the pecans. I already had what I wanted, but there were others who came by from time to time and politely asked, so I wanted them to have a chance too. After a while, I relented and let her gather to her heart's content. You may also recall that after the pecans played out, she came by with a sack of apples for us. This time she had a pie. I really hoped it was a pecan pie, but it was pumpkin. I wonder whose yard she gathered pumpkins from.

Basketball season is finally over. How about that Championship game? During the course of the season, and throughout our extensive sports-watching, we have seen countless interviews with coaches, and inevitably the announcer will ask the question, "Coach, what's it going to take to beat (name of team here)? And not once - not a single time - has the coach ever stated the obvious: "Score more points." Duh.

No comments: