Monday, September 28, 2015

Monday Meanderings - 9.28.2015

So, how do you like Fall thus far? Around here it doesn't seem all that different than Summer.

Barb was cleaning out the freezer the other day, so I was poking around for something I could grill. I found some chicken breasts that said "Use or freeze by Aug. 2007." Barb says I can grill them if I want to, but she's not going to eat any of them. What? I'm sure they were frozen by August, 2007.

I'm always about 3 years behind the curve to adopt a new Microsoft operating system. In other words, I only upgrade when the Evil Empire stops supporting my current system. Sometimes that coincides with the need for a new computer. Sometimes it doesn't. With the release of Windows 10 it seems things have changed a bit. First of all, it's free - something Microsoft has never done before. Secondly, it's getting very good press - something Microsoft normally doesn't get.

So I upgraded an older system I keep around for back-up purposes, and surprise! It went smoothly and works well. Still not touching the computers Barb and I use heavily until much, much later.

My new reading project at Learning Ally is "The Spartan" - an old (written in 1912) somewhat glamorized book about an even older story - the battle at Thermopylae between Xerxes and Leonidas and his 300 Spartans (yes, they did make a movie about that recently). Problem with this book is that it's all Greek to me. Especially the 400 or so names of people, places and things that are from Ancient Greece. Anybody know how to pronounce Elaphebolian?

Nothing unusual about the Star Spangled Banner performed prior to a sporting event. The Texas Volleyball team sort of raised the bar, though. They had a string quartet perform the anthem before a recent match.  Pretty classy - especially for Gregory Gym.

And here's a novel idea. A kennel - excuse me, Pet Hotel - at the airport. Titled "Bark and Zoom" it combines an off-airport parking facility and a boarding kennel. Leave your car and pet, get dropped off at the airport and upon your return, your car and animal are waiting for you, 24/7. Gotta love this town.


No comments: