Monday, October 26, 2015

Monday Meanderings - 10.26.2015

As Stevie Ray would say. "It's flooding down in Texas."  We passed the 5" total rain mark Saturday night, but unlike some parts of the state, ours has been a slow, steady, and above all, gentle rain. It has been a long time since it has rained throughout the night, throughout the day and then throughout the next night.

I had the opportunity this weekend to experience the Apple Genius Bar. This is the place where you can speak to a real, live person and show them the problem(s) you are experiencing with your Apple device. In my case, it was a mis-behaving iPad. Ever since the latest operating system upgrade, the device would crash regularly and frequently.

I had already been through the process of wiping the device clean and re-installing the entire system - a 4 hour task that brought only slight relief, so the next step was make an appointment with a Genius. Not surprisingly, the next available slot was more than a week away, but Sunday afternoon I sat down in a crowded room with about 25 other solution-seekers and a fourteen-year-old dude in an official Apple shirt asked how he could help.

Actually, he already had the complete record of my previous conversations with Apple Care and knew what the problem was, so he put his iPad next to mine, pressed a few icons and sucked up the error logs from my iPad. He looked at them for a few minutes, made some tsk, tsk noises, then said, "I'll be right back."

In a few minutes he came back with a box and said, "Even though your iPad is waaay out of warranty (purchased in December 2011) I'm going to give you a new one. This is a one-time deal; please sign here." I scrawled my name, the guy handed me a brand-new iPad, and we were done!

I should point out that it is a brand-new old iPad 2 - same model, same size - but new and thus far crash free. And that's how you do customer service.

Cute, but pricey, little pumpkin holders seen at Central Market:

1 comment:

pat said...

Holly gave me a similar stand and pumpkin for my birthday. Mine doesn't have eyes though so I just painted eyes on my pumpkin. Crossed eyes!