Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A statement about finances

During the endless Bowl games on TV each year end, I sort out the accumulation of various bills, statements and receipts needed later for taxes, and if I'm ambitious, clean out some of the detritus that has accumulated in the file cabinet. One document that came to light in this year's housekeeping was a copy of a "Personal Financial Statement" that I filled out for the Bank of Commerce in Abilene, Texas, way back in 1967.

I have no idea what motivated the completion of this statement - no doubt it was to enlist the bank's aid in financing some major purchase; maybe it was a washer and dryer - according to the assets listed we already had a house, 2 cars and a television. What else could one want?

Barb and I were 28 in 1967, Rob was 3 years old and Julie was 2 months at that time. According to the form, with my annual salary of $10,200 and equity, the balance sheet stated that our net worth was $9, 674. Probably the most telling entries, however, are those that stated that we had $82 in the bank, and the monthly payments for the aforementioned house, cars, and television totaled $155.  

I guess that is why I was making nice with the bank.

No comments: