Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Meanderings - 10.16.2017

If it is not decidedly cooler this morning, I am going to be seriously miffed at the weatherman. The temperatures have crept back into the 90s, as has the humidity, but the weatherman has for several days promised a "cold" front that was to arrive on Sunday. I'm writing this late Sunday and the A/C is still churning and the humidity is still too high. I'll give him until in the morning, and if it's not cool, I'll.... I'll... well, I'll be miffed, that's what.

Editor's Note: It's 55 degrees at 7:30 am, so I am officially un-miffed.That is all.

The home recording studio is progressing nicely. Barb refers to as my "cave" because of all the soundproofing I have on the walls and over the windows. A friend gave me two huge boxes of foam pieces that are about 2 feet by 3 feet and 2 inches thick and I have deployed them strategically to block sound coming in through the window from the outside, and to soak up anything in the room itself.

I've done such a good job, that when I listen to my recordings I mostly hear only myself. A lot of myself. Of course, I want to hear the narration I record, but I also hear, pops and clicks and a wide variety of mouth noises. Noises you normally never hear in an ordinary environment. I've discovered it's a common problem - there are lots of postings in voice-over forums about proper hydration and vocal exercises to deal with mouth noises.

There's also the problem of borborygmus. Okay, I'm going to give you a couple of minutes to google that. Got it?


bor·bo·ryg·musˌ
bôrbəˈriɡməs/ 
borborygmus; plural noun: borborygmi

A rumbling or gurgling noise made by the movement of fluid and gas in the intestines. 

Yep. The old stomach going after it. Problem is, it happens all the time and you seldom are aware of it. Sure, occasionally there is the serious bout of gas, but it's the little gurgles that get you. Only when you are listening critically, at a high volume level, do you hear them - right in the middle of your narration. And even then, you are not sure if it's real or if it's Memorex, so you have to stop and replay that section to see if it repeats. And if it's on the recording you have to re-do that section.

Who knew the voice-over business was so... well, personal.

No comments: