Monday, April 2, 2018

Monday Meanderings - 4.2.2018

I blame Daylight Savings Time. The older I get, seemingly the earlier I rise - which is annoying, but but more about that in a moment. And with the time switch, it is now dark when I get up. So the other morning, I got up - in the dark; made my coffee - in the dark; poured my cup - in the dark; missed the cup and poured hot coffee on my hand - in the dark. Ouch. I am certain that would not have happened if we were observing "real" time.

Now about this early rising. One would think that this phase of my life would allow me to be a slug-a-bed whenever I wanted. That I could snooze as long as I wanted. But noooo. Some seven hours after I go to bed, I've enjoyed all I can stand, and its up to greet the dawn. Which is a while comeing, these days. See above.

Barb, on the other hand, does not share this affliction, so I have some quiet time to listen to podcasts, or music, for example before she gets up. I even got me some nice blue-tooth earphones for that. So the other morning, I'm getting all set to listen, and I realize that I had not "paired" the headphones to my iPhone, and rather than quietly enjoying my music, it is blaring away. I panic at this point, and I'm smothering my phone and pushing all the buttons on my phone, trying to get it to shut up.

Did you know that if you press the side button five times your phone automatically dials 911? Yes. Yes, it does. But first it alerts you with a piercing WHOOP WHOOP alarm! And then, a voice says, "Do you need police, fire or EMS?" According to Apple support, there was a countdown screen to allow me to cancel the call, but if you are clutching the phone close to muffle the loud music (which is still playing) you are unaware of this bail-out screen.



No comments: