Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A modest proposal

If you follow this blog you know that I narrate audiobooks. For nearly 12 years I have volunteered as a reader for Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic). I have logged nearly 2,000 hours in the studio for these good folk, and I plan to continue doing so for as long as they will have me.

In addition to the unknown number of of books I have recorded for Learning Ally, I have done several for Audible.com. The most recent is a non-fiction narrative titled Vicksburg: The Bloody Siege That Turned the Tide of the Civil War, written by Samuel W Mitcham. Here's part of the Publisher's comments about this book:

On July 4, 1863, Confederate Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton surrendered Vicksburg and the Army of Mississippi to Ulysses S. Grant. Pemberton was immediately denounced as a poor general, whose incompetence and indecision cost the South control of the impregnable fortress. Some Southern newspapers were especially harsh, pointing out that Pemberton was a Northerner (he was born in Philadelphia) and suggesting that treachery was behind the fall of "the Confederate Gibraltar." 

Mitcham explores the events leading up to the siege of Vicksburg, as well as the battle itself, and the participants in the action in great detail, approaching the subject from the Southern point of view. You can follow the link above to learn more about the book, and even listen to a sample of me reading the book.  

But I urge you - DON'T BUY THE BOOK!  Let me give you a copy instead.

Audible.com gives me a limited number of promotional codes for this purpose,and I will pass them on to you. BUT before you say, "Oh, goody - a free book!" let me make these points. The book is likely only going to be interesting to you...

IF you are a fan of Civil War history - and I mean a fan - this sucker is 12 hours long!!

IF you are a Southern Sympathizer and believe that the South will Rise Again!

IF you love hearing endless details of troop movement, battle descriptions and casualty counts!

IF you want to know the life history of every Southern officer (and some civilians) involved!

AND you must promise you will not drive while listening to this book (see the parts above about 12 hours of minute details).

Reply in the comments and I'll give away these promotional codes on a first-come basis, with instructions on how to use it for a free copy of this audiobook. You do not have to be a subscriber to Audible.com - your Amazon sign-on will work - but if they do ask you to set up an account, with the code, you do not have to buy anything.

Be sure to include your email address in the comment. I promise I'm not going to put you on a list or even tell you about my next book. This is a one-off deal as far as I'm concerned. Call it a 4th of July observance of an event that happened 153 years ago.

However, you likely will hear from Audible.com again. It is an Amazon company, after all, and there's a reason they give out these codes.





No comments: