Monday, December 3, 2018

Monday Meanderings - 12.3.2018

You may have seen an earlier Facebook post about my running gag where I would yell, “Alexa, what is.....” and pose some question to Amazon's ubiquitous Echo assistant. Problem was, of course, I didn't have such a device installed. I then would then complete the shtick by grumbling about what a poor helper Alexa was.

While assembled at our house over the Thanksgiving Holidays, my devious children installed an Echo device for real one night after I went to bed. And yes, I did call out, “Alexa, what is the temperature?” the next morning. And to my enormous surprise, she answered me!!

So now we have a new member of the family. Whenever we want to hear the weather forecast, or a joke, or the day's headlines, Alexa is quick to deliver. So far she's hooked up with her neighbor the Nest thermostat, and she's made herself at home in my calendar. Pretty sure she's checked out the Ring doorbell - but has declined to be friends because of age differences. I know the TV is  on her agenda, and with a little assistance she's keen on talking to the garage door opener. Such an an alert and active member of our family!

And she's so polite and helpful, one must say, "Thank You" after her response - but she must be of a younger generation. She never says "You're welcome."

And, she's actually a little too alert. We have learned that - as with most young children - sometimes it's necessary to spell things in her presence. Specifically, her name - else she merrily joins in the conversation unbidden, or speaks when not spoken to.

Plus, she has friends in high places. It seems I get daily reminders from Amazon headquarters, with lists of topics Alexa is eager to discuss with us. Such as:
  • "Alexa, where's the nearest bank?"
  • "Alexa, what's on my shopping list?"
  • "Alexa, what can I make with chicken and spinach?"
  • "Alexa, what are my reminders this weekend?"
  • "Alexa, what's up?"
  • "Alexa, what were yesterday's scores?"
  • "Alexa, play the radio."
  • "Alexa, what's the date?"
  And, of course, there's, "Alexa, order the new Sheriff Longmire book for my Kindle."

Please don't tell my wife about that one.

No comments: