Monday, April 22, 2019

MMs - 2.22.2019 - A small mystery

Barb came across this ring the other day - tucked in the back of a drawer. And it is the small mystery that I refer to. Small, in that it won't fit on an adult's finger, and a mystery as to where it came from and what it was doing in her drawer.

I have, in my life, purchased 4 rings. The first was my high school senior ring. Hail to the Buckaroos.

The second was an engagement ring, purchased from Hugh Bowie, a jeweler in Abilene who became a wealthy man selling engagement rings to ACU, HSU and McMurray college swains, in 12 easy payments. I recall that I secreted that ring away inside a can of tennis balls until it was time to present it to the girl I was going to marry. Luckily, none of my roommates were into tennis at the time.

The next two rings were matched wedding bands that Barb and I picked out and purchased from a jewelry store in Port Lavaca. I don't remember the name of the store, or how we paid for them at the time. A quick look at old newspaper records from Calhoun County show only adds from Cantu's Jewelry and Pawn. I don't think that was the place, but hey! We were poor college students at the time.

So, that brings us to the mystery ring. We're pretty sure Barb didn't buy it. Apart from her wedding ring, she's not a ring-wearer. She has an assortment of necklaces that she has acquired; some of her choosing and more than a few as gifts from her Burmese Ladies, who make such as artisans, but no rings.

It has a "Made in China" tab on the bottom of the box, so I'm pretty sure it is not a long-lost ring of great value and will not be listed in the Estate - although, if you look very, very close (and that photo was taken with the assistance of a 10X magnifying glass) there are teeny, tiny bits of gem-like glittery things on this ring. Two in the setting and a number of smaller (if possible) ones on the sides. You never know.

So, if you are a small person who wants a ring with teeny, tiny bits of gem-like glittery things on it, that may, or may not, turn your finger green, come on by.

1 comment:

Julie said...

What? It's not going in the estate?? :)