Monday, July 1, 2019

Monday Meanderings - 7.1.2019

Last week of Women's World Cup. The US Women are still going strong, but the game with England will test them tomorrow. And if we get past that we will face Sweden (who we have beaten once already) or the Netherlands (who we have not met, yet) in the final. USA! USA!

The family heirloom clock has learned a new trick. When it comes time to strike 8 o:clock, it doesn't. At least it doesn't on Saturday night and Sunday mornings. That's near the end of the spring un-winding for the week, so that may have something to do with it. I wind the clock every Sunday afternoon after we get home from church. It's the weekly "wind and water (the orchids)" ritual.

Interestingly, the clock does chime correctly at 9pm on Saturday (and I suppose at 9am on Sunday. We're gone to church by then, so I'm not sure about Sunday morning. Maybe I could ask Alexa to listen at 9 and tell me later. I was already aware that the clock only strikes 10 times for the 12 o:clock hour; that has been it's behavior since getting it back from the repair shop.

I posted a picture a few weeks back of the gray foxes that wandered through out back yard one evening. I sort of figured that they had drifted over from the Pioneer Farms - a large, open area that is part of the Parks and Recreation system. The coyote population is pretty high over there and we regularly see coyotes walking down the streets, cutting across to a green-belt to our north. If coyotes live there, I assume foxes can too.

However, they just might live a little closer than that. Barb saw one in broad daylight on the patio recently, and one morning this week I saw a fox run from beside our house across the street and disappear between the houses directly across the street. There's a cat that lives over there - or maybe there WAS a cat that lived over there.


No comments: