Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The mystery revealed

Even before it was finished, there was speculation about the design of the top of the Frost Bank Tower. Some have believed it to be a snowflake or winter scene (frost, get it?) while other have believed it to be representative of mountains. The theory behind both ideas is that the Frost Tower’s top is meant to compensate for the state’s lack of both snow and mountains.

I have long maintained that the whole thing is a secret hanger for an alien spacecraft and some day the thingy’s at the top will open up and the spacecraft will join the Mother Ship when the mission is complete.

Well, recently, architect Lou Fickens, representative of the company responsible for construction of the Tower publicly announced the source of inspiration for the unique rooftop design: “The truth of the matter is… it’s a bundt pan. For cakes.” When asked why he decided to go with the “bundt pan” design, Fickens explained, “My wife made a bundt cake the day before our preliminary design meeting. When she was done, she set the pan upside-down on top of a stack of dishes, and what I saw was beautiful.”

Austinites seem to agree: “I think it’s awesome. Any building that’s modeled after food is cool to me,” said one local citizen. Another, a pastry chef, concurs. “I think it’s a great message on behalf of our industry. Food can be big and bold!”

I’ll admit that a bundt pan design is consistent with Keeping Austin Weird. But I’m still suspicious that there’s a spacecraft in there.

1 comment:

Julie said...

A bundt pan? Are you serious? I like the snowflake/Frost idea much better. A bundt pan just seems too - roundish and greased and floured.

He obviously didn't ask me, though.