Saturday, March 29, 2008

Trying to beat the system

Freebirds is one of our favorite places to eat. Well, okay - one of my favorite places to eat. For those of you who live out of town, Freebirds is a heavy-metal version of Chipotles. Burritos with an attitude. Even though it started in College Station, it is a primo contributor to "Keep Austin Weired."

But Mom has a problem with Freebirds in that even the 1/2 burrito is too much of what she doesn't need to eat. We've tried sharing a regular burrito but we don't like the same ingredients; they have a great chips and queso, but that's a little shy of what she needs for a meal. What would really work is the child's order of steak quesadilla - but there's this 12 years and under rule...

So, here's where you chase off the grandkids and shoo away the faint of heart. Okay? All gone?

Today we cheated. I told Mom to sit down at a table near some children and I went and I told the heavily tattooed server person that I wanted "a steak burrito and ohbythewayIneedachild'ssteakquesadilla." So far so good. She didn't bat an eye.

Htsp: "That comes with rice and beans. What kind of beans would you like?" Oops. We didn't talk about rice and beans.

Me: "Uhh, no rice and beans, please. That's okay."

Htsp: "Are you sure? If you don't want rice and beans you can have..." Didn't clearly hear the choices - too busy panicking.

Me: "Uhh, no thanks, just the quesadilla. "

Htsp: "I'll just add some chips, okay. But no beans and rice?"

Me: "Yeah. Chips is good, but she won't eat the rice and beans. Uhh, she's a picky little eater." Please, please, don't engage me in conversation about the eating habits of young children ... and old ladies.

Htsp: "Will that be all?" Yessss!

Mom: "Where's my queso? If you don't get beans and rice you should get chips and queso."

It's a good thing I never considered robbing banks.


2 comments:

pat said...

Freebirds also keeps John's family, me included, weird.
We've made some extraordinary foil "figures."
It is good that it is about as far across town as you can get - so I don't get the wrong type food too often. Especially since someone in the bunch will always finish off the rest of it.

Good ploy though when you don't have grandkids handy.

Julie said...

That's why I love drive throughs - they really can't tell if I have a child in the back of my van, and certainly can't prove that I'm not taking my child's meal home to a child...

Actually, I do usually have at least one child in the back of the van, but I just order one kid's meal (for me) and then two regular meals (for the boys - today Jericho ate a whole Baconeater Menu from Wendy's - whew.)