Friday, May 2, 2008

Catching up

I let the 1st of the month slip right by me without a header update. And I'm not positive, but I think I may have used this one before. It's still a nice place and it's getting warm enough to go there.

This past week has been "Read-A-Thon" at the RFTB&D. They do a big push to get every slot filled for every day for an entire week and reach a goal of so many hours of recording. If all seven booths are occupied for the 4 available 2-hour sessions in a day, 56 volunteers are needed daily, assuming no ones doubles up (many do). Additionally, they need extra people to mark and check books for all this activity. To motivate people to agree to do this, staff and volunteers go to all the good foodie places in town and persuade them to donate wonderful things to eat! Wonderful things! Today there was a great lasagna dish from Central Market and lovely breads and spreads from several other places in town. I think one fellow just came for the food and stayed all day every day. I'm not sure he actually read anything. And they did surpass their goal by many hours, so it was good for everyone.

The other day I went to get my allergy shot. I checked in and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, they called me in and I was fussing at them when I walked through the door. The nurse just stood there, hypodermic needles in hand, and said, "You do know that I can hurt you, don't you? Let's have none of that!"

I guess there are some battles not worth fighting.

No comments: