Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Happy Blogaversary!

I didn’t make that word up – someone else (probably from Google, Inc.) did. I didn’t even remember that this was my blogaversary. That notation just appeared on my (Google) calendar, courtesy of those fine folks in Mountain View, California who are slowly insinuating themselves into every aspect of our on-line life.

Has it been a year? I had to check to be sure, but the folks at the Googleplex had it right. Pretty amazing when you consider that the Gartner Group, a research firm that tracks all things technological, says that the average life span of a blog is merely three months and is shrinking daily. That’s not to say that there has been a dearth in creating new blogs; for a while there the number of blogs doubled in number every six months, according to Technorati, a blog search engine. But Gartner predicted (in 2006) that the total number of bloggers would peak around 100 million in the first half of 2007. Whether it did or not, I’m behind in my reading.

One hundred and one blog entries – that’s one every 3.6 days. Hmmm, seems further apart than that. I think I overachieved the first few months, but my true nature is asserting itself. These days I feel good if I get an entry every 3.6 weeks! And my SiteMeter suggests that I should keep the day job (wait – I don’t have a day job) and not try to make a living as a blogger. I did get a comment from someone in Brazil once. They wanted me to visit their blog. I don’t guess that counts.

So thanks to the 5 steady customers out there. Here’s to the second year, coming up.

No comments: