Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cool is cool!

You start anticipating it in the late part of summer - that morning you walk out to get the paper and it's cool. Not just not-as-hot cool, but promise-of-really-nice-days-ahead cool. The promise that we are coming up on one of the two times of the year when you know why you live in Austin. We've experienced that refreshing cool the past few mornings, and it is so welcome!

I'm aware that there are still hot days to come (it was 108 on September 25, 2005), but we have reached the tipping point and the dreadful streak of 42 days of triple digit temperatures may truly be a thing of the past now. Sitting on the patio and drinking coffee is comfortable once again. We can open the drapes in the bedroom now and not worry about the room heating up during the day. The air conditioner can take a much-needed rest. The electric bill will not be as dreaded. I didn't bother putting up the sun screen when I parked the car today. I drove home with the window open, wind whipping my hair.

There's just a lot that's cool about cool.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Isn't it GLORIOUS??? and now I'm trying to think of what I was doing in September 2005 to not notice that it was 108*. I must have stayed inside that day...