Friday, June 19, 2009

Required reading...


You already know my philosophy about recommending books. But if you are a member of the same tribe as I am (and you know if you are) recommending this is a no brainer. If you are not of the same tribe you should read this book anyway. You will never find as much theology in such understandable terms anywhere else.

Randy Harris is well-known as a speaker, and deservedly so. His wit keeps you listening and his wisdom leaves you stunned. A couple of years ago I gathered in one place every mp3 lecture of his that I could find on the Internet; I searched high and low, and I'm pretty good at finding things on the Internet. I even purchased a few lectureship CDs. This was a rich, rich collection.

This book reads just like one of those lectures. You hear Randy speaking on every page. Some examples:

“My friend Augustine died in 430 (most of my friends have been dead for several hundred years; I’ve found that makes the friendship much easier).”

“Here’s the theme of the book of Revelation: God’s team wins. Pick a team. Don’t be stupid.”

“My friends refer to me as the Dead Sea of e-mail. I receive and I receive but I do not give.”

I was reading this book while waiting my 30 minutes of indenture at the allergist's office and I embarrassed myself by laughing out loud.

And his take on 2 Corinthians 1:18-20 left me in tears.

The only place that I can find to buy this book is Leafwood Publishers or the bookstore across the street from the ACU campus, if you happen to be going through town.

Try it. You'll like it.

1 comment:

pat said...

He, or a video of his, has been to Heritage. I was impressed.