Friday, August 6, 2010

Eureka!

I have mentioned before that if you are a true Texan, you should be in the oil bidness - even if it is only a .00084151 percent share. But every time I received a royalty check I wondered just where my well was physically located. I tried calling Ridge Oil, being such an important lease holder of theirs and such, to ask if they could help me locate the well. The nice lady who answered the phone must have been in awe of an important lease holder calling, because she just sort of didn't have much to say, except that "it was in Stephens County somewhere."

Well, I knew that Ma'am, but just where in Stephens County? A lot of holes have been punched in that county, starting with the big boom back in 1916, and there are pump jacks all over the place! Where was mine?

Then, in the great picture search, I uncovered this photo:

On the back, in my father's handwriting is "Oil well at Breckenridge." I know of no other reason for a picture of a drilling rig to be in the family pictures unless it is the oil well that was poised to bring untold wealth to the family. At last, there was visual evidence of where the well was. But just where was that picture taken?

I spent several hours virtually driving up and down the streets of Breckinridge by way of Google Street maps, and never located it. It had to be somewhat close to the homestead, but for the life of me I could not find those buildings. For good reason, it turns out. Because they are no longer there! I sent a copy of the picture to a friend who still lives in Breckenridge, and he circulated it among his family, and finally his wife figured out that the L & L Family Restaurant now occupies this land, at the northwest corner of the intersection of West Walker and North Live Oak Street. Originally, the building with the tall column in the picture is where Polly's Flower Shop used to be.  The building on the left had the Cabbage Patch, The Dandelion and Dolores's Hair Fashion; it was called the Corner Village - none of which stands today. Thank you Houston and Sally!

Sure enough, back to Google Street View, jog up Live Oak and turn west at the corner of West Elm, and there - in plain sight - is my oil well! Eureka!


I feel so much better now that I know I can go look at my well anytime I want to bask in the glow of being in the oil bidness. Keep on pumping.

1 comment:

pat said...

Yes! Right in the area that I thought it should be, but the change in the buildings made it more difficult to figure this out.

Maybe we should go put a sign on it, "Our Oil Well."