Sunday, January 1, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 1.2.2012

Welcome to the New Year and the new, revised Monday Meanderings. Of course, it's exactly like the old Monday Meanderings, but with every new year we pretend we're going to be better, right?

With the good Doctor's approval, we did indeed spend some time exploring Coastal California - from Pismo Beach to the south, up the Pacific Coast Highway, past San Simeon and the Big Sur to Monterey Bay. Breathtaking scenery.  Toured the Hearst Castle, went back to the aquarium in Monterey, saw sea lions and elephant seals, ate clam chowder at the Splash Cafe, ate steak at Jocko's, got to hang with my favorite people. It was good.

But since I was supposed to be taking it easy, here's my favorite view, just a short stroll from the house we were staying in.

Came back by way of Las Vegas. My plans for underwriting the cost of the trip with a little slot machine action were foiled by a very tight connection at opposite ends of the airport. My previous visit to Las Vegas was as a teenager, when my family and the Woods family were camping at Lake Mead. We drove in one evening to see the lights. So now I have seen the lights of the Strip by drive-by and by fly-over without ever having set foot in the city itself.

Spending a week two time zones away requires a little adjustment. When it's time to get up or go to bed I always seem to be in the wrong time zone.

It's Capital Bowl Week(s) and if you are a football fan there's no better time. The downside is that you have to listen to Lou Holtz and Mark May arguing at half times. However, with careful planning you can work in some real life segments during those periods. Like my annual tradition of sorting out all the bills and junk to get ready for the tax process.

Another year has passed, and a lot has happened in the last 365 days. Like the character Earl in the comic strip "Pickles" said, "I kinda wish I could remember what it was."

Happy New Year!

No comments: