Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 3.4.2012

Notice anything different here? That's right. No bags. Austin is now officially bag-free. Or to be more precise, there are no more free bags. As befits our quirky city, it is now illegal for stores to offer single-use plastic (or paper) bags. You may bring your own bags, buy heaver, multi-use bags (notice the paper bags further up the aisle), or carry your groceries home in your arms.

We've noticed that some stores are taking this opportunity to adopt a more European style of shopping; bring your own bags and do your own bagging, as well. Since we have been carrying reusable bags for some time now, the bag ban is of no consequence to us, but the hullabaloo is interesting.

We didn't have to struggle with snow, as they did in the Panhandle, but the same storm blew all our top-soil, lawn chairs and small furry animals to the coast this past week. I found some roofing shingles in my back yard, but I don't think they came from my house. Numerous trees blown down over all over town.

I have mentioned before that one of the great rites of passage in Texas schools is coming to Austin in the Spring. UIL girl's basketball is currently underway; boy's basketball is next. It now seems that coming to Austin in the Spring is a global thing; Verge conference was this weekend, Grand-Am racing at Circuit of the Americas as well, SXSW starts March 8 and attracts crowds from around the world for about three weeks, and for the first time in forever, UT is going to hoist an NCAA Regional. Did I mention the Rodeo is in town? Oh, and Texas Relays is up. Should make all the bars and hotels in town happy, happy, happy.

The downside of getting a new designer belly-button is that that area is very tender for a while. I quickly learned that the normal waist band and belt was out of the question, so I found an old pair of jeans a couple of sizes larger (sweet!) and held them up with suspenders. That made a very comfortable wardrobe, but it didn't do anything for my self-image. Barb says I need to reconcile myself to the fact that looking like an old, doddering man is not a stretch. Humph!

No comments: