Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 3.18.2013

What we have long suspected was confirmed in a TV news interview the other night; people who come to SXSW tend to stay here. A realtor said the period immediately following South By (as we insiders call it) is one of the busiest of the year for home sales to people relocating to Austin.
 Here's a popular tee shirt making the rounds; the smaller print says, "I hear Dallas is great." You can understand the attraction - the weather is perfect, there's a party on every corner, famous people are everywhere, all the bands in the world are here (and you can hear most of them for free) and if you play your cards right there's free booze, BBQ and swag everywhere. What's not to like? Maybe they should hold SXSW in August. Yeah, that would do it.

Usually the panhandler's signs say things like "Any thing helps" and "49 cents shy of a cheeseburger," but Barb and I have noticed a trend toward longer, autobiographical signs. She saw one that gave a detailed history of how that person ended up on the street - replete with things like "wife left, lost house, lived under Congress Ave bridge until cops chased me out, VA stopped sending checks...." and on and on. Far too much info to read at one light change. I saw a guy holding a billboard sized sign: "All the musicians have come to SXSW to show the world how good they are, but I don't have the time or the $$$ to indulge....." and that's all I had time for. Seriously considered driving around the block just to read the 2nd half.

We're going to have to train a new waitperson at Chuy's. That's the problem with establishing relationships with your server; we are in it for the long haul. Our mantra is we were here before you came, we'll be here after you leave -  they are in it only until something better comes along. Courtney left to go to mortuary school (!); Virginia stopped to have a baby and never came back; Angie left for a classier place (as if!), so hello, Delia, fresh from Mexico. The first thing we have to teach you is that when we say "limes," that means lemon verde. 

This will mean something to only a very small portion of you, faithful readers: I was sitting in the doctor's office, and the nurse called out the name "Sparkle." After a young woman went in an older gent across from me said,  "Do you suppose her name is Sparkle Plenty?" I said, "You and I are the only ones around who know who that is." Do you remember Sparkle Plenty? No, I didn't think so.

Speaking of doctor's offices, my allergist has placed a Keurig coffee device in his waiting room. Since you have to wait around for a half-hour after getting an allergy shot, I think that's a great idea. Free coffee, free WIFI. All that's missing are muffins and cookies. Why do I think the doc's fees are going to go up soon?

And the games are afoot. Conference playoffs have begun, leading up to full-blown March Madness. Happy, Happy, Happy. Texas men had a dismal season; they are going to have front row seats - at home in front of the TV for the first time in 15 years. The UT women were only moderately better; they might get an NIT bid.

We have enjoyed a lovely Spring Break here in Austin; slept late, ate at some of our favorite places, successfully avoided the crowds, read some good books, got in some quality patio time, even a nap or two. I think we'll do it again next week.

Peace

1 comment:

pat said...

I remember Sparkle Plenty. I think she was a Dick Tracy character, but I'm not sure.