Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Meanderings - 1.20.2014

I broke one of those high-dollar treadmills at Silver's Gym. I was minding my own business, cruising along about 15 mph... okay, maybe at a somewhat slower pace... and maybe I was pressing a few buttons... when the thing gave up the ghost. No turning belt, no flashing lights, no TV on top. That sucker went dark and stopped dead in the water. Casters up, so to speak. Evidently the problem is more serious than a circuit breaker, it has been out of service for the better part of a week now. Meanwhile I am using the machines on the other side of the room. Far, far away.

Barb and I got an email invite from Pepperdine University to attend a "Marriage Enrichment Retreat
for Ministry Couples." The invite says "Couples stay in a safe and secure environment, enjoying the surrounding beaches and mountains of Malibu, California. The experience includes two nights of lodging, and breakfast and lunch daily at the Villa Graziadio on the Pepperdine University campus in Malibu - $200 per couple." Are you kidding? Malibu and meals for only $200 a couple? If we can figure out a way to skip the Retreat Sessions, we are so in!

When one gets an allergy shot there is a required 30 minute wait to see if you have a reaction and fall on the floor, frothing and twitching. On these waits, I open the Kindle app on my iPad to whatever book I happen to be reading at the time. Last week, I opened the app and my book was not listed. I synced and re-synced, searched the device and the cloud, but to no avail. I was pretty miffed that the app had failed me - until I realized that my current book at home was a real book; genuine paper and stuff, straight from the library.

On that note, I recently read about a toddler, having some acquaintance with an iPad, who was observed patiently swiping the pictures in a print magazine with her finger, trying to get the pictures to change. I thought that amusing until I realized that I have, on occasion, touched a word in a print book, expecting to see the dictionary definition pop up.

Advice for the coming week: If you are going to have a senior moment - make it memorable!

2 comments:

Rob said...

I was using the AppleTV in the Auditorium at church recently. After class, my screen was mirrored on the large monitor (on the floor at the front of the room) when a small girl (about 4) walked up to it and started pressing icons trying to get apps to open. They start 'em young around here.

pat said...

I get really irritated at the print and pictures in magazines because I can't make them larger like on my iPad. The two finger spread just doesn't work on them.