Monday, February 26, 2018

Monday Meandering - 2.16.2018

Random thoughts:

Olympics have been fun. Skiing, skating, curling. Jen Hatmaker said about curling, “I don’t care about this game. I don’t even get it.” Three hours later: “The skip should blank the end and retain the hammer! Use your strategy! I could coach this.” 

But the flame has been extinguished and it's time to move on. The Women's National Soccer Team squares off against Germany, England and France in the SheBelieves Cup starting Thursday. Goooooooaaaaalllll!

Things that don't go together: Whataburger and "au jus." I'm sorry, but if I wanted a Swiss-Mushroom burger with au jus sauce, I would go to the Foo-Foo Burger Bar for Pretenders.

The family heirloom clock (Tempus Fugit) and I are are about the same age. Should I be concerned that after a good run, the clock now needs major surgery? Checking out my options. The best one may be a total organ works transplant. Would it still be the heirloom clock?

The sun came out Sunday afternoon for the first time in two weeks. Two. Weeks. If I wanted to live where it was cloudy and drizzly all day I would move to Seattle. I'll bet they even have a Foo-Foo Burger Bar there.

Tomato plants are showing up at the stores; time to think about planting the garden. Which in our case may be 2 jalapeno bushes and some Butterfly-friendly plants.

And this may be the last winter that the Avocado plant can winter indoors.
We're not sure how old this plant is. Barb sprouted an avocado seed in the traditional seed-suspended-by-toothpicks-over water many, many years ago for some class demonstration and the timing was such that she stuck it in a small pot and it continued to grow. And grow. It has been lopped off once or twice before and that may need to happen before it gets to come inside next winter. 

Leaving it out is not an option, lest it end up like the huge broad-leafed philodendron (that we nick-named "George") that sat outside a cafe we frequent. George got too big to shelter inside and the 2-day freeze in early January took a devastating and fatal toll. Poor George.



No comments: