Monday, August 27, 2007

A Chuy's Retrospective

We don't know for sure how long we have been eating at Chuy's. More than 20 years we estimate. Nobody at the restaurant itself knows how long this particular location has been open - they've only been there a few months. Or sometimes only a few weeks. One indicator of the passing years is the annual Hatch Green Chili Festival; three weeks of chilies roasted in an open pit in the parking lot and added to old and new recipes alike. Everything is just a little hotter during Green Chili Festival - my kind of food.

Somewhere along the way I started picking up the theme buttons and sticking them on the bulletin board. I probably began the practice as a means to dog Rob after he went away to school. We were eating at Chuy's and he was not. That was hardly fair, I admit - he was the one who drug us in there the very first time and told us to order a ChuyChanga with Queso sauce. Still a family favorite.

I didn't put much effort into the buttons at first, so there are gaps in the collection and they don't start until 1996 - 11 years ago.

The 8th Chili Festival, and the oldest button in my collection


1997


1999


2000


2001


2002


2003


2004 - a weird year; no buttons, just match boxes.


2005


2006


And tonight's reminder of another great culinary adventure. Sorry you weren't here, Rob.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Dude!! As I was driving home I was thinking about calling you guys. Today was the first day of school for LCU and I am planning my schedule with statements like "I will be at Starbucks with Larry from 10:30 to 11:00 - if you will come by and pick me up there, we can visit while you take me back to campus."

That settles it - I am having Elaine start calling my Austin contacts tomorrow!

pat said...

What fun!