Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 8.8.2011

Have I mentioned that we are reading literature books at Learning Ally? Only the last 27 Monday Meanderings? This week I got a high-school-level American Lit book and lucked out with two wonderful, complete stories, "The Magic Barrel' by Bernard Malamud and "The Rock Pile" by James Baldwin. Both were rich in dialect and language and I loved the experience of reading them! We were one page from the end of the second story when we reached the time for a shift change. My director said, "You have to finish this. You MUST finish this." So we did.

With the temperature above 100 degrees for more than 50 days thus far, I was expecting the electric bill for July to approach the national debt. The electric portion was reasonable, however. It was the water portion, and waste water, and trash and drainage/street service (whatever that is), and all the other things they ding you for that really ring it up.

An event that really makes you feel old is to have a grandson stop by on his way to visit another part of the country. Where is the toddler I played cars with for hours on end? Somehow it is fitting, however. We have been greeting him and saying goodbye to him at airports all his life.

And Barb was afraid that we might not have enough for him to snack on while here. So she stocked up. And you should see the refrigerator!


Of course we went to the movies while he was here. We have to keep our record intact of going to the movies at least once every 3 or 5 ... years. Saw Captain America. Cool movie, but a really, really terrible ending. I'm told you have to be really up on the Avenger comics stuff and then you would know that the terrible ending is to set up next summers follow-on. I also came away with questions based on what I learned in World History. What's that? It's based on a comic book character? I knew that.

I understand President Obama turned 50 this past week in spite of the Republican's objections.

Tee shirt seen on a large man: "I am winning the battle against Anorexia."

I attended a funeral this week. There was congregational singing and we sang several familiar songs. One of them was "Red River Valley." Don't recall ever singing that at a funeral before.

And would you rather see temperatures like this -


Or like this?

I found this setting that says "C" or "F."  "C" obviously means "cooler."

No comments: