Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 9.26.2011

Enough, already! One hundred five degrees yesterday, one hundred three expected today and tomorrow! This is insane!

Notice the date on this email.
19-Sep-82 11:44 Scott E Fahlman :-)
From: Scott E Fahlman
I propose that the following character sequence for joke markers:
:-)
Read it sideways. Actually, it is probably more economical to mark things that are NOT jokes, given current trends. For this, use:
:-(
With that post, Fahlman became the acknowledged originator of the ASCII-based emoticon. Happy 25th anniversary to the smiley face.

I noticed that Wal-Mart is going to offer lay-away this Christmas.  Lay-away played an important role in the financial fabric of my childhood. My mother often had items on lay-away at Anthony's or Penny's; she would send me in with a five-dollar bill to put on the item account. I suspect sometimes they were items she neglected to tell my father about. Maybe I should put that iPad on lay-away.

The good days are the ones where I can get out of bed, put on my glasses, watch and a pair of shorts, and I'm done. If I want to get dressy, I come my hair.

Do you suppose if I called NASA and said there was some junk from that satellite in my backyard they would come and haul away the trash back there? Rob tells me that it worked once before.

Two signs with football references; first at the local El Arroyo restaurant -


And this one recently went up in Waco in response to Baylor's plan to block A&M's exit from the Big 12.

3 comments:

pat said...

Mom used to tell me that if she died suddenly I should go around to all the department stores and see if she had a lay-a-way there.

Barbara said...

I have given Bob instructions that if I die suddenly, he must delete my journal on the computer WITHOUT reading it.

pat said...

Hmmm wonder if he would do that.