Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 6.25.2011

Well, I seem to have meandered right off the page. I certainly didn't plan that little vacation, but I'm back and on the mend, thank you very much. I would like to go on record and say that everyone I came in contact with at Seton Medical Center - from the doctors and nurses to housekeeping - treated me wonderfully. Especially the nurses and extra-especially Elise, who went far beyond the call of duty to get me needed assistance. And, of course, I came away with some excellent stories - like getting stuck in the MRI machine. But that's for later.
 
It's not my first choice in diet plans, but several days with no food or drink intake except for an IV drip will let you reach new lows, weight-wise. I passed the 25 pounds lost mark this past week. I'm hoping for more conventional methods from here, though.
 
You've gotta love living in Austin; among the fun things to choose from for activities this past weekend was the Fifth Annual Bug Festival (billed as a "special sort of potluck - bring normal dishes and learn how to eat bugs"), the New Belgium Urban Assault Ride ("a scavenger hunt for cyclists, with obstacles and challenges [like Town Lake] along the way"), Keep Austin Weird Festival & 5K ("psychedelic music, vendors, artwork and a race") and topping it all off, the first annual Leslie Fest ("Celebrate the life of the late Austin legend in costume").
 
Was watching the College Baseball World Series on the hospital room TV when Kent State defeated #1 Florida and sent them home. A nurse, who was from the state of Florida, but NOT a Florida fan, asked where Kent State was located. I said, "Ohio. You know, 'Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, We're finally on our own. This summer I hear the drumming, Four dead in Ohio.'" and she just looked at me. "Uhhh, Neil Young song, Ohio? Crosby Stills, Nash and Young?" "Oh, I've heard of them," she said. This younger generation has missed so much.
 
I guess summer is really here - it reached 103 degrees last evening. I think that's the first triple-digit temp in Austin for this season, but I know it won't be the last. Hopefully, Debby, out in the Gulf, will bring some moisture our way later this week. Wouldn't that be nice?
 

No comments: