Monday, September 17, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 9.17.2012


Now that's a weather map that you can really appreciate. In fact, just shortly before that screen shot was made, we got soaked, trying to get to the car in the parking lot! It has been cool and rainy all weekend; really nice. The lawn actually made it through the summer with only a few not-so-green areas and I didn't have to float a loan to pay the water bill. Sweet!

Of course I am Texas-centric. I'm a native son and proud of my roots, and thus I point out that if you want your waffles toasted in the shape of a state, your choices are Texas and, well, Texas. Of course, I only include states that have a shape; Wyoming and Colorado are essentially boringly square, but not quite, so they don't qualify. You might make a case for New Mexico in that list if you dribbled a little overflow batter in the lower left corner, but really.

Popular in the state's motel serve-yourself breakfast offerings, you can purchase your own Texas-shaped waffle makers from any number of places, but you won't find any, say, California-shaped waffle makers. I base this bold statement on diligent Internet research. I looked long and hard, and while I found heart-shaped waffle makers, and Where's Kitty-shaped waffle makers and Winnie the Pooh shaped waffle makers and even makers that produce waffles in the shape of PC keyboards, I did not find any other state represented by this culinary genre. So. There you have it.

And while looking at a Texas-based Whataburger commercial for a Patty Melt Burger, Barb wondered what they call Texas toast in Oklahoma? Apparently they call it Texas toast there and everywhere else in the country. At least that's what Connecticut-based Pepperidge Farms, New York Brand and California-based Safeway call it. In fact, if you mention Oklahoma Toast, natives of that state think you are referring to the State Song.

And while we are on the subject, the DQ commercials here end, "That's what I like about Texas." Is there a "That's what I like about New Jersey?" Just wondering, ya'll.

Tried a new Mexican food place called Lupe Tortilla. It's a Houston-based outfit that put too much effort into the decor and not enough into the food and service; the size of the patio and bar makes it obvious that they are after the happy-hour crowd. Dishes look to be more interior Mexico than Tex-Mex and were over priced. One unusual twist is that they serve chips with baracho beans as the dip. We might go back, but not for Sunday lunch. I give them two stars.

No comments: