Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 6.17.2013

Happy Birthday (and Father's Day) to me. The family had a tough time deciding on whether to give me new golf clubs, that Bass Boat I've been looking at, or that six-station mega grill. I took the high road and settled for a Whataburger.

You can also add Juneteenth to the celebrations. You do know about Juneteenth, don't you? Anyone? Anyone? I guess it's a Texas thing.

It has been a sports-filled weekend, with a plethora of choices. Saturday the FIFA Confederation Cup started two weeks of quality soccer. And the Men's College World Series is underway, as well. We don't have a dog in either of those hunts, so we can root for - or against - anyone we like. And then, of course, there's the NBA Finals with the Spurs and the Heat. Go Spurs!

It's a good thing we have all these alternate sports activities, because the Rangers have disappeared from view. Let's just say that Poppa John's is saving a lot of money these days; I tried, and RANGERS1 just doesn't work as the 1/2 price promotion code.

I got a comment on the blog the other day from someone who was wondering if I would be interested in writing a guest post. They referred to their blog site, which has a lot of useful information about retirement. Other guest bloggers had written about finances, estate planning, best places to retire and a lot of other really helpful topics. Obviously, these folks didn't read any further than the title of my blog.

Have you tried the easy roasting ears trick? Put them in the microwave - husks and all - and zap them (I set the timer for 8 minutes for two ears). Take them out (hot, hot, hot) and slice off the big end. Hold the ear by the husks on the little end and shake the ear of corn out. They slip right out, husk-less and silk free.

Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally this past weekend. Like Formula One, it really raises the noise level around town. Hard to miss 200,000 bikers. Literally. As of Sunday night there have been more than 20 EMS responses to accidents and 3 fatalities. But you really can understand the appeal - the call of the open road, the sun on your face, the wind in your hair. Sometimes you just have to get on the bike and head down to the watering hole. I know I do. See you there.




1 comment:

pat said...

You had a little too much celebration yesterday, didn't you! But then I love Whataburger.

I went to a Rangers game and they lost, have lost every game since then. I'm sorry!