Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday Meandering - 5.19.2014

Yesterday was Senior Sunday at our church. I speak of high school seniors, not people my age. Throughout the service I kept thinking of Lake Wobegon, where "...all the children are above average." And they are. They truly are.

Yes. Yes, we did put the blanket back on the bed this past week. It was 42 degrees, folks, never mind that it is almost June and we are in Texas! #gonnamissthisweather

For more years than I can remember, contractors for the City of Austin have been burrowing under much of downtown, creating the Cross Town Tunnel that will deliver flood waters that accumulate in Waller Creek harmlessly to Town Lake, finally allowing river-walk type development along that downtown area.

This is a big tunnel, folks. You could drive city buses through this thing! The $150 million dollar project is almost complete - all that is lacking are the finishing touches on the intake facility that will suck up all this water. Which, someone just discovered, is in violation of City and State law that mandates that certain "view corridors" of the State Capitol must be preserved. Ooops! Gotta love this town!

Watching NCAA Softball Regionals this week; kept hearing someone screaming every time a certain pitcher delivered the ball. Finally determined it was the pitcher herself, yelling something that sounded a lot like "MOMMY!" She was the losing pitcher, maybe she did need her Mommy.

In the same tournament, I noticed a team from USC Upstate. Couldn't help but wonder if the team mascot name might be the "Upstarts." Or maybe the "Upsets." No such luck.

I was assigned a Sociology book at the Learning Ally Studio this week; the section I read was on "Late Adulthood." I have encountered many definitions of the age group I am in, but this was term was new to me; late adulthood. It has a certain panache, but since the word "late" is often associated with those no longer living, I think I'll pass. Wait, that's not a good word either... oh, never mind.

No comments: