Monday, January 30, 2017

Monday Meanderings 1.30.2017

Interesting problem at the Learning Ally Studio the other day. When we record, we do so in booths constructed with thick double walls packed with sound absorbent material. If you have ever been to an audiologist, you likely were tested in the exact same type booth as we use, made by the Acoustic Systems company.

The doors to these booths are rather large and they weigh nearly 200 pounds. They are supported by massive hinges, and fit very snugly in the opening. And if one of the hinges should happen to break - say the bottom one - the door sort of wedges into the opening, and the poor reader inside can't get outside. I wasn't present when this happened, but I'm told there were a few panicky moments until several strong backs were able to lever the door open.

Crisis averted, the staff began puzzling over how to repair the door. The booths we use were obtained (surplus) in the '70's and parts might be hard to come by nearly 50 years later. BUT - it turns out that Acoustic Systems is now part of a company head-quartered in Cedar Park - a suburb of Austin. "Why yes, remarkably, we do have a few of those old hinges left. Our technician will be right out to replace it."

Heinz Foods is campaigning to have the Monday after Super Bowl declared a national holiday. I thought that a great idea, and spoke up in favor of it - to which my wife said, "Says he who has a holiday everyday." Hm. Well, yes. Never mind.

I was driving at the time and unable to get a photo, but on Monday, January 23, I passed a large Bradford Pear tree in full, gorgeous bloom. Beautiful, if a trifle early.

Well, the clock and I have called a truce. I have agreed to not wind it and it has agreed to stop chiming. That's about as good as it gets until I can get it in to be cleaned and refurbished.  I have to admit, it's a lot more peaceful around our house. Maybe I should just display it as a conversation piece and let it chime for special occasions. Like New Years. Or in celebration of St. Swithun's day.

No comments: