Monday, May 15, 2017

Monday Meanderings - 5.15.2017

I've been saving up some photos to share with you. Some I took; others I just came across and thought interesting.

The 1st, unusual as it is, reminds me of an event I witnessed.
Many years ago, I was with a group of co-workers on a small company retreat over at Bastrop State Park. This was in the era before cell phones, and one of the men had to make a phone call, so we drove back to town and stopped at a phone booth (see, it was a long time ago) outside a drive-in that was similar to todays Sonic. It had a sort of corrugated metal awning covering over the speakers that drooped from support to support.

While we were there, someone on a horse rode up to a speaker, bent over and pushed the button, and when the server answered, "May I help you," the horse gave a startled crow hop and banged the rider's head into the canopy. The guy got the horse settled down just about the time the server, having heard no response, said again, "May I help you," and the horse again bucked the guy into the awning.

The guy wised up and got off the horse to place his order with the server, and in a few minutes they brought him two hamburgers; he ate one and fed the other to the horse. I guess there were no hard feelings on his part.

While on the subject of horses, if this dog gets any bigger, the driver is going to need a horse trailer to haul him around in!

 Somehow, I think it should be obvious that this is a bus, but given Austin drivers, maybe not.


And this Facebook "Do you remember" photo got me to thinking about skating as a teenager. There were a couple of rinks at different times in my hometown. One was under a big tent close to the swimming pool in Miller Park. Sort of made me sad that roller rinks were no longer a thing - but I checked, and evidently they are still around! We have a couple of skating rinks in Austin that apparently do a good business.

No comments: